1/15/10

If I were a rich man...




I would probably only shoot film (Did you think I was gonna say something about wanting a boat? :). No matter what kind of skills or expensive programs anyone has I have never seen anyone get texture and tone like this from a digital camera. Digital has its advantages and there are myriads of things it can do that film cannot. But if I had to choose a format to shoot in, it would be film. And while I am dreaming I would use a Rollieflex 2.8 FX and or a Hassleblad 500C/M. My birthday is in seven months, in case you're still looking for something to give me.





By the way, these shots, some of my favorites from all of last year, were taken with my mother's old Canon AE-1. I tried to make one roll of nice film last the whole year (again, processing costs). I love the feeling of advancing the film, the shlak-shlak of the shutter, and the excitement of rewinding the film by hand. People born after 1995 may never know what taking film to a real camera store and waiting for the results is like. You have to plan shots and get it right. None of this 'spray and pray' type shooting. Ah~, delayed satisfaction. Ok, I'm off my dreamy soapbox. The next post will be written back in the digital age.

8 comments:

mo said...

You're doing things with that camera that I never did! I'm glad it landed in good and appreciative hands. If I were rich I would buy you those cameras and keep you supplied with film and processing fees! Who knew my son would be nostalgic about film cameras.

Emma Jo said...

Amazing. What an eye you have for detail and beauty. And I love that you appreciate the "old school" way of your talent...it shows great depth to your interest.
My voice is my passport...validate me?

Emma Jo said...

Sorry, sorry, verify me. Got it.

Carrie Ann said...

These are wonderful and yes, I thought you wanted a boat for a minute. In photography class we shot with a silver nitrate something film. Best film ever! (You'll have to google that film, I can't remember what it was at all.) And I am thrilled that they are bringing back Polaroid instant film. I didn't throw away my Polaroid camera because I was so upset they would discontinue it. It is my favorite film medium. I love you!

Rebecca Waldron said...

Love the blog Spencer! Looks like you and the wife are doing well. You are one talented guy.

Oscarson Photography said...

Thanks everyone!

Becca- we found your blog recently and LOVE it and all the amazing things you make! Keep posting!

Jangs said...

Whoa you are good.

M-L said...

These are great pictures!