6/9/09




We recently visited Mt. Vernon. It costs about $15 to get in, but it really is worth it. We went once but only had about 30 minutes before it was going to close so we didn't go in. This time we did the full tour. We saw the inside of the main house, GW's tomb and all the fixins.

They recently finished a fabulous museum that includes these spot on replica life size models of George Washington at various stages of his life. They were very cool. I would love to get permission to go in with all my gear and do some more portrait-y portraits of these things.


They also have a set of George Washington's dentures. CRAZY! They don't allow pictures to be taken of them, but they are lead with animal and human teeth. Of all the crazy interesting stuff there is to talk about at Mt. Vernon, the dentures are what I thought about most on the way home.

If you ever visit Washington, DC or Arlington, Virginia, I highly suggest spending a couple hours out at Mount Vernon.


6 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

Now I'm DYING to see those dentures! Why won't they let you take photos?

That landscape is amazing. Makes me want to spread out a soft blanket, lay back with my arms behind my head, and watch the clouds scurry past. ...or was it cold out?

Oscarson Photography said...

It was wonderfully warm... but a storm was rolling in, so I don't think I would've wanted to be out in the middle of that field for too long!

Hjalmar2 said...

What a fun time we had with the two of you. You live in such an amazing place and do such a great job of capturing it in your photography. I see the picture of the field and I'm back there with you in Mt. Vernon.

mo said...

Love the field. My pic didn't turn out nearly that well. Yours looks so inviting! That was a fun field trip...forgive the pun.

mo said...

Your field looks so much more inviting than the pic I took. That was really a great "field trip!" The teeth were definately the most quirky of the exhibits. Ewwwh, animal teeth in your mouth!

Jangs said...

cool pictures. And I agree about the denture thing, it does make one ponder. How miserable they must have been to wear